Pre/Post PACU RN – Full Time
Responsible for coordination of care in the pre/post-op areas including 23-hour observation collaborating closely with the Director of Nursing/Administrator. Utilizes the nursing process to provide comprehensive nursing care in the pre/post op and procedure areas. Accountable for assessing, planning, implementing, and coordinating patient care from admission to discharge in the pre/post op and procedure areas. Functions as a patient care advocate.
Reports To: Operating Room Charge Nurse and/or Director of Nursing
|DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (General requirements listed are not an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements):
1. Creates staffing assignments according to schedule and available staff. Arranges time for staff breaks and lunch. Monitors progression of daily schedule and adjusts staffing assignments as needed.
2. Monitors quality of patient care in the pre-op and post-op area including the 23-hour observation. Acts as a resource for nurses and coordinates interventions and communicates outcomes to Director of Nursing.
3. Assesses equipment and supply needs and communicates needs to Materials Manager and/or Director of Nursing.
4. Assists Director of Nursing/Administrator with interviewing prospective employees and coordinating orientation; monitors job performance of staff to confirm compliance with policies and personal protection; assists Director of Nursing in completing annual employee evaluations
5. Responsible for the operations of assigned areas in the absence of the Director of Nursing.
6. Assesses patients on admission to pre- or post-op area, and on a continuing basis.
7. Provides safe, therapeutic, and quality patient care in the pre-op, post-op and procedure areas in a timely manner utilizing nursing care standards.
8. Communicates appropriate information to surgeons and anesthesia providers. Carries out physician’s orders correctly and promptly, documenting all activities.
9. Completes admission through discharge procedures safely, provides pre-operative and post-operative instructions, and documents according to established standards of care, policies, and procedures.
10. Conducts pre-op phone calls for verbal assessment of the patient and pre-op instructions and in post-op follow-up calls. Communicates any problems to the appropriate provider.
11. Demonstrates understanding of established emergency procedures for the Center and performs effectively in emergency situations.
12. Follows proper procedures regarding blood and body fluid precautions, handling of hazardous waste and sharps, and use of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
13. Assists in any area of the center and/or flexes work hours to meet the needs of the Center.
1. Computer experience and an understanding of medical terminology
2. Strong communication skills
3. Accuracy, attention to detail, timeliness, and organization skills
4. Attendance, punctuality, ability to follow instructions and meet deadlines.
5. Cooperative work attitude toward and with colleagues, management, patients, visitors, and physicians
6. Ability to promote favorable facility image with physicians, patients, and general public
7. Ability to make decisions and solve problems
8. Respects patient’s right to privacy and dignity and maintains confidentiality of all Center and patient information.
9. Fosters a positive and professional environment by interacting with all persons in a considerate, helpful, and courteous manner.
10. Assists in any area of the center and/or flexes work hours to meet the needs of the Center.
|EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
1. Current Wyoming State Registered Nurse License
2. Current BLS, PALS and ACLS or can be certified
3. Minimum of two (2) years’ experience preferably in an ambulatory surgery setting.
1. Ability to stand and/or walk for long periods of time
2. Visual and auditory acuity adequate for frequent use of computers, telephone and use of other office and/or medical equipment.
1. Category III exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may encounter chemical hazards
To apply, visit our Careers page or click here.